We are pleased to have representatives from various media sources at GBFW each year.
Media are asked to register for the conference if they plan to attend. Please contact Grey Ag staff if you plan to attend by calling them at 519-986-3756 or email at email@example.com. Please inform them which media source you are representing and which day(s) you plan to attend. Check in at the Registration table in the main lobby the day of the event. You will get your complimentary meal pass there. You can also enjoy a coffee, water, cookies or apples.
For Immediate Release: November 12, 2018
Grey Bruce Farmers’ Week (#GBFW19), in its 53rd year, will run from Thursday, January 3rd to Wednesday, January 9th, starting with Dairy Day, and ending with Ecological Day. The Day Order has changed this year. The order is Dairy, Goat, Sheep, Horse, Beef, Crops and Ecological days. It is a 7-day Agricultural Conference packed with a most impressive and informative line-up of speakers! The coordinators for this event, Grey County Ag Services, in conjunction with agricultural commodity leaders from Grey and Bruce Counties, have attempted to feature at least one high profile speaker for each day, targeting the issues and challenges facing the farming community today.
The Committee is delighted to announce that this year, all days of #GBFW19 will be Live Streamed. So, if producers live further afield, they can still participate in this amazing conference! Of course, the best way to experience GBFW is in person, so that attendees can chat with the speakers during breaks, visit the tradeshow booths, and network with fellow producers over a delicious hot roast beef dinner. If that is just not possible, this new online viewing option will allow producers from far and wide to learn from our spectacular speakers. Of note, for your viewing convenience, live stream ticket holders will be able to access the live feeds for one month following the event.
As always, exciting Panels have been developed for 2019. These panels include:
- On Dairy Day, three producers, and a representative from the Cdn. Dairy Network will share their perspectives on
- On Goat Day, we have asked two goat milk producers, to provide a Virtual Tour of their Operations.
- On Sheep Day, three producers will discuss their tips and insights about Breed Selection and Success.
- On Beef Day, two producers, a vet, a nutritionist, and the OMAFRA Sustainability Specialist, will tease out Nutrition’s Impact on Beef Cattle Health.
- On Crops Day, two producers and Peter Johnson, will be on the stage for a session about Compaction.
- On Ecological Day, market and home gardeners will take home a multitude of tips when three producers share their thoughts about Extending the Growing/Marketing Season. These producers do that through winter CSAs, growing winter greens, and growing herbs for herbal teas.
Here’s a glimpse of some of the featured keynote speakers and presentations:
- On Dairy Day, producers will take away nuggets about their “cows, their bottom line, and their consumers”. Andrew Campbell, is well-known in the agriculture community as the Fresh Air Farmer. He will join us to present Better Conversations With Your Non-Farming Neighbours. Andrew Campbell is sponsored by Silo - King (Forage Treatment); & Advantage Royal Group, Royal LePage RCR Realty.
- Goat Day will target the milk and meat producer. Kathy Parker, Veterinarian, Valley Veterinary Clinic (Three Hills); Co-Owner, Parker Stock Farm, will provide an abundance of information to attendees. Producers will have the opportunity to Ask the Veterinarian, any health questions that have puzzled them. In the afternoon, Kathy will speak to the meat producers in the lower level of the Community Centre, where she will deliver, The Value of Health vs. The Cost of Disease.
- On Sheep Day, Kathy Parker returns for her second day, to deliver two presentations. She will dig into Putting Your Bits Together! - Managing Sheep Reproduction, and Surviving the First Seven Days. Dr. Kathy Parker is sponsored by Floradale Feed Mill Limited, and Stonehill Sheep.
- Horse Day will deliver an abundance of practical tips and information regarding: The Adventures of a Riding Vacation Junkie - Seeing the World From the Saddle; Probiotics, Prebiotics, & Digestive Supplements for Horses; Equine Cognitive Psychology – How Do Horses Learn?; and the Ontario Mounted Special Service Unit.
- Following the afternoon break on Horse Day, there will be interactive Equine Demos on both the upper and lower levels of the Community Centre. Mary Baks, Owner/Operator of Walkerton Equine Clinic will share tips on First Aid For Horses – What We Need to Know. Lawrence (Chuck) Cannon, will share an interactive program about Expedition Grade Horse Travel Skills.
- Come early on Beef Day to get a seat! Presentations will focus on the “cow, the consumer, and the markets”. Karen Schwartzkopf-Genswein, Research Scientist, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Lethbridge, Alberta, will delve into Methods of Assessing and Reducing Stress Associated with Transportation in Cattle. Dr. Karen Schwartzkopf-Genswein is sponsored by Zoetis and Elanco Animal Health – Canada.
- Tuesday is Crops It is always a full house, so come early to get a chair. John DePutter, President, of DePutter Publishing Ltd. will provide an informative and dynamic review of The Mega-Cycles Governing Crop and Livestock Prices and Current Strategies. He is sponsored by sponsored by Huron Tractor & Sprucedale Agromart.
- Be sure to take some notes on Crops Day when Chris Winslow, the Director of Ohio Sea Grant & OSU’s Stone Lab, will share Lake Erie Algae, Research Efforts, Nutrient Loading and Farmer Decision Making. Chris is Sponsored by Parrish & Heimbecker; Saugeen Valley Conservation Authority; & Advantage Royal Group, Royal LePage RCR Realty.
- GBFW19 ends with Ecological Day. Ecological Day has something for everyone. Learn about Marketing; Lessons Learned from Greg Stewart, the President of Eat Local Grey Bruce. Kristine Hammel, owner/farmer from Persephone Market Garden will share her tips on Intercropping. New this year, producers will be guided by Ruth Knight, Organic Consultant Inc., in an interactive discussion about Soil Health. Talia Fletcher, from Markdale Veterinary Clinic will dig into Holistic Herd Health.
And There will be Much Much More………………
For more details on the speakers planned for each day, please refer to the brand-new Grey Bruce Farmers’ Week website www.gbfw.ca. If you need detailed information about any of the presentations, or complete bios, that information is also available on the website.
The GBFW planning committee would like to thank all of the generous sponsors!! The full list is on our brochure, or on our website (www.gbfw.ca)
Grey Bruce Farmers’ Week would like to acknowledge the Premier and Platinum Sponsors: Farm Credit Canada (Event sponsor); BDO Canada LLP (Brochure sponsor and Major Live Streaming sponsor); Trillium Mutual Insurance Company (Major Live Streaming sponsor); Country 93 (Media sponsor); Howick Mutual Insurance Company and CMR Insurance (Media sponsors); Scotiabank (Daily sponsors) and Bruce County Federation of Agriculture (Daily sponsors).
During the course of the week, the Tradeshow will include over 100 trade show exhibitors from across the province.
Grey Bruce Farmers’ Week will be held at the Elmwood Community Centre
(# 38 Queen St. W.), 8 km north of Hanover on County Road #10. The Community Centre is 1.6 km west of the Amber flashing beacon.
Registration Price (at door, cash or cheque only):
Dairy, Goat, Sheep, Beef, Crops, and Ecological Days — $30 Includes HST
Horse Day — $25 Includes HST
(Includes hot roast beef dinner. Goat and Lamb are also served on those respective days).
No Pre-registration is required, but on-line pre-registration is an option this year for those wishing to pay with debit or credit.
Join us by Live Streaming. Go to www.gbfw.ca and click on the Live Streaming tab to pre-register for this online viewing option. $20/day or $100/week (Plus HST and PayPal Processing Fees). Conference content will be available to live stream ticket holders for one month following the event.
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook @GBFarmersWeek #GBFW19.
For further information or interviews, please call Lorie Smith at 519-986-3756, or
email Lorie at firstname.lastname@example.org.